Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bah Humbug!!!

Faerie Friday is going to be late this week due two different factors 1) Tonight was my office Christmas party, i.e. I had a few glasses of wine and now I’m too sleepy to write a decent post and 2) I’m not sure what I want to write about.



I had a brilliant idea a few months ago when I was contemplating doing Faerie Friday that I should incorporate a monthly theme.  German Faerie Month was okay and I enjoyed Hairy Beastie Month very much.  I have themes planned for almost every month next year, but I don’t know what to do with this December (or next December for that matter.)



I was going to have a Christmas themed December.  I even mentioned it last week.  I was going to use it to combat the general Humbug chip on my shoulder this time of year.  I’m not saying that I don’t like Christmas.  I love the occasional Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas movie.  I make sure to watch A Boyfriend for Christmas every freaking year.  (I haven’t seen it listed yet on any of the channels and I’m starting to panic.)  I cry at the sappy Hallmark commercials.  I give generously to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers and I always get a few gifts for unfortunate kids.  I get teary eyed at the idea of someone being alone this time of year.  It’s sad.  Especially if it is an old person.   I’m tearing up just thinking about it. 



That all being said, I don’t get excited about Christmas lights.  Christmas songs really get on my nerves.  I love giving gifts but I don’t enjoy the pressure of getting just the right one and I don’t want to buy something for someone just to buy something.  I worry about which parents to visit and when.  Should I tip the Orkin man?  Will I slip up this year and let a six year old kid know there is no such thing as Santa Claus?  Am I a horrible person?



The whole freaking thing is exhausting.  



I’m not a Christian so I don’t get all into the birth of Jesus nonsense.  However, I still have fond memories of Grandpa Armstrong reading the story of the first Christmas from the Bible every year at the family’s hymn sing.  He had this wonderful voice that I can hear so clearly in my head.  I am thankful for that memory.



But honestly, I want nothing more than to hide out in my house and write my stories and read the occasional good book from now until spring.



So, yes, I have answered my own question.  I’m a jerk.



So this year, as a Christmas present to myself, I am not going to mention Christmas any further n this blog.  Instead I’m going to do a miscellaneous post each Faerie Friday.  Hopefully, I’ll wake up more refreshed tomorrow and less pissy.  Here’s hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment