Thursday, January 5, 2012

First Post of Vampire Faerie Month

I had this brilliant idea while packing to visit my parents for Christmas.  I would bring about 10 or 12 volumes from my library and get a jump start on this month’s Faerie Friday posts.  I had a list of a dozen or so creatures I could write about already jotted down in the official Pixies Don’t Have Wings blog notebook (title proudly written in black permanent marker on the front cover.)  I just had to pick out four and write about them.  Easy Peasy.
 

I gathered all of the books in my favorite tote bag, and then I tried to pick it up.  The freaking thing weighted a ton.  I managed to cart it down the stairs and out to the car.  My husband, the dear he is, carted the thing into my parents’ house.  There is sat, untouched, until we left two days later.  My husband had to bring it back out to the car and then back into our house.  He left it inside the front door for me to deal with.  The man’s a good guy, but he’s no fool.


So the thing has been sitting on my living room floor since the day after Christmas.  I swear it has been mocking me.  Tonight I lugged it back upstairs and tomorrow you guys get Faerie Friday.  All’s well that ends well, but I learned a valuable lesson.  I won’t get any work done while visiting family.  I should just come to terms with it now and save my husband’s back in the future.
 

So, back to Faerie Friday.  In honor of January being National Blood Donor Month, this month’s faeries are vampiristic little suckers.  I hope you enjoy them.

Photo removed by author

Yeah…. Not that kind of Vampire Faerie.
 

I’m going to recycle a faerie that I spoke to in an earlier entry, Are you a good faerie or a bad faerie?   In this post, I explained the real difference between Unseelie and Seelie faeries and I gave some very good examples of the Unseelie.
 

My favorite is the Baobhan Sith.  I described them as follows:
 

Baobhan Sith – A female faerie succubus with goat feet that sustain themselves on human blood. Usually, they travel in packs of four like rabid teenage girls.
 

That’s a pretty fair and accurate description with one caveat.  They don’t have goat feet, they have deer hooves.  I hope you will forgive me. 


In Scottish Gaelic, Baobhan Sith means “Faerie Women” or “Women of the Sidhe” just like their Irish cousins, the Banshee.  They aren’t anything like the Banshee, however.  The Banshee wails and weeps and warns.  The Baobhan Sith kills people.  In other words, the Baobhan Sith are cooler, much cooler.  


The Baobhan Sith do travel in packs.  They attempt to seduce young men.  They are partial to huntsmen out alone on the Moors.  Let’s face it, who isn’t?  They dance with the young man and just when the guy is sure he’s gonna get laid, they drain him completely (and not in the good way.)


In Judika Illes book, Encyclopedia of Spirits, she postulates that the Baobhan Sith are deer goddess punishing those hunters foolish enough to kill without conducting the proper rights.  Or maybe they are just dancing vampires.
 

Oh, and they always were green.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how farie vamp month continues! My vamp book comes out tomorrow. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at your blog. I just cannot believe there are other fairy lovers out there ...:)Kisses and txs for the wedding wishes, by the way you are invited :)))). Along with the pixies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll make sure they wear their finest!! Really, congrats! I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete