Friday, February 10, 2012

The Love Talker or the Black Elves of Love


I was very excited about this month’s Friday Faerie theme.  I’m calling it “I’d rather be single” month.  As I stated in my last blog post, Faerie love is not for the faint of heart.  It’s not roses and sweet words and boxes of chocolates.  It’s more earthy and carnal, not to mention almost guaranteed to end badly.  Last week I completely flaked out and flew down on North Palm Beach for a long weekend. I should feel guilty but I don’t.  I needed some sun and warmth.  The pool and ocean breeze didn’t hurt either. 

Well, I’m back and one week behind.  I’ll try to make it up somewhere down the line.  I actually have a list of about 7 or 8 Faerie lovers.  Maybe I’ll do a couple extra posts this month.

This week’s Faerie Friday post is on the Ganconer, an Irish elf.  The Ganconer is also called the Lover Talker and Peter DuBois referred to them as the Black Elves of Love.  I’ve been walking around the house this week repeating under my breath “Black Elves of Looove, Black Elves of Looove”  over and over again.  My husband thinks I’m nuts.  He’s probably right.

Imagine that you are a young woman walking alone in a valley.  Of course you would have to be pretty and virginal.  What Faerie (or elf in this case) would bother with a common looking tart?  Maybe you’re out picking flowers or gathering berries or doing whatever solitary young maidens do alone in a field.  Off to the distance is a patch of fog.  A handsome man emerges from the mist and walks towards you.  The birds stop singing and you notice that he hasn’t a shadow.  He looks at you like you are the only girl in the world.  He is devilishly handsome with wavy dark hair and perfectly straight teeth.  He smokes a dudeen (a short clay pipe.)  His eyes shine black and when he speaks, he oozes charm.  (I’m sort of picturing a young Hugh Jackman here.  Just saying.)


Phote removed by author

Just picture him with a clay pipe.  


You are completely in his thrall. 

The proper thing to do would be to run the other way, but you can’t seem to put one foot in front of the other.  

You are screwed six ways to Sunday, sister.

The stories differ.  Some claim that one kiss and the Love Talker is gone. The girl is left to pine away, neither sleeping nor eating until she dies of a broken heart.  In some stories, the Ganconer draws out the girl’s life with his kiss leaving her dead where she stood.  Sometimes the Ganconer doesn’t stop with a kiss.  He doesn’t need to force himself onto the girl. He’s has charm out the wahzoo.  It doesn’t matter how the story goes.  The ending is always the same – a dead broad.

The real question is what is the Ganconer’s motive?   Is he so careless that he does not realize what kind of damage he has inflicted or does he hate humans so much that he likes to make them suffer?  Does he even have a motive?  Maybe he just is?

What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. I think they are sinister by nature.They are out to hurt people and that is their main motive.

    ReplyDelete