Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Church Grimm #AtoZChallenge



Phote removed by author



Origin:  England, more specifically Yorkshire

Description:  Usually appears as a large black dog.

Disposition: Powerful portent of death.  This spectral dog stalks cemeteries at night and in stormy weather to keep the devil and malicious spirits from the dead.  The only person who can see the Church Grimm without dire consequences is the minster. 

Interesting factoid:  There was a superstition that the first person buried in a new cemetery would become the spiritual guardian.  In order for this not to happy, a black dog would be killed and buried first in the cemetery. 

15 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one. I wouldn't be happy to see him. Scary-looking dude. :)

    Laura A to Z of Immortals, Myths & Legends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an old cemetery in the historic Stockade district in the town I live in complete with stone church. I always imagine a Grimm there.

      Delete
  2. This is interesting! I like your theme for the Challenge. Fascinating stuff!

    Nice to meet you, and welcome to the Challenge!

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'm having so much fun with this!

      Delete
  3. I like it! :) I especially like the idea that it is dark and scary, but it is actually protecting the cemetery...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate lore where homage is paid to what is dark because without it light would not exist. It is so very necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tendency to lean towards the dark in folklore. It does make the light more bright. If you know what I mean.

      Delete
  5. Interesting spine tingling post.


    Visiting through the A to Z Challenge. Lovely blog!

    Best regards,
    Donna
    Award-winning Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    The Golden Pathway story book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and checking out the blog!

      Delete
  6. I've not heard of this one before, interesting idea.

    I'll be sure to check back for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and for checking out the blog!

      Delete
  7. New follower from the challenge. I'd not heard this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, Ciara! I hope you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  8. Very good info. I didn't know this. I will have to share with my daughter. She loves all kinds of superstitions and folklore.

    ReplyDelete