Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Laumes #AtoZChallenge


Artist's depiction of a Laume

Origin: Balkans



Description:  Beautiful forest dwelling faeries that are found bathing in pools and or spinning and weaving.  They have power over wealth and fertility.  They give and take at will.



Disposition:  In older traditions, the Laumes were considered friendly.  They likes to converse with humans and they protect children and orphans.  They sometimes kidnap children, but not with the aim of hurting them, but rather they want to mother them. They are hotheaded, but they are very generous and compassionate.  Sounds like a Billy Joel song.



In newer traditions, the Laumes are depicted as hags.  Think Baba Yaga.

9 comments:

  1. I wonder why the tradition changed? Must have pissed somebody off (like a writer). :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is they were quasi-nature deities and the church didn't like that, but this is just a guess on my part.

      Delete
  2. OMG, your last sentence about the Billy Joel song made me spit-laugh all over my computer screen. I've so enjoyed my faerie education this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! I write a post every week (when I'm being good) called Faerie Friday. They are longer posts, but this has been fun! I get to cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.

      Delete
  3. Nice! :) I was also posting about fairy creatures today :)
    http://multicoloreddiary.blogspot.com/2012/04/l-is-for-lilies-and-fairies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the theory that the description didn't fit in with what that church wanted.

    ReplyDelete